- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 stalks celery, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound green split peas, rinsed and picked through
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Melt butter in a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in split peas, chicken stock, and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Blend together with hand blender or in a blender and add back to pot.
- Add potatoes, and simmer until they are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.